You may think if you deactivate the Facebook account, it will automatically deactivate Messenger as well but in reality, you have to deactivate the Messenger separately.
So if you don’t want people to contact you through messages, follow the deactivation process below.
Note: You cannot deactivate Facebook Messenger without deactivating FB. If you haven’t then at first check out our article on How To Deactivate Facebook Account.
Steps to Deactivate Messenger
- Launch the Messenger app on your phone.
- After opening the app, if you see the Keep using Messenger page, then tap on the CONTINUE button.
- Tap on your profile at the top left corner.
- Now, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Legal and Policies option.
- Select the Deactivate Messenger option.
- Enter your password and tap on Continue.
- At last, tap on the Deactivate button.
What happens when you deactivate Facebook Messenger
- You will be invisible in the Messenger app. No one will be seeing your profile in the app.
- No one will be able to communicate with you.
- When you reactive Messenger, it will also reactivate your Facebook account automatically.
Note: Deleting Facebook account will also delete all your messages, it’s not like deactivating both separately.
How To Reactivate Facebook Messenger?
If you want to reactivate your Facebook Messenger, then simply log in to the Messenger app with your email address/phone number and password