Why should you deactivate Facebook account?
- Addiction to online profile. You are wasting too much time on social media.
- To improve low self-esteem. Researchers find social media is directly related to low self-esteem.
- Your potential employer will check your profile before recruiting, so if you have questionable content on your wall, deactivate it temporarily.
- If you are going through a break up then you should stay away from the FB for a while. It will give you time to heal and forget about him/her.
- To study for the exam, you don’t want a constant distraction from FB to break your concentration.
- To get yourself some break from online activities.
To get a break from Facebook for a short time, you need to deactivate your account.
How to Deactivate Facebook account?
You can deactivate your account from a desktop or mobile app.
How to deactivate the Facebook account from a desktop?
This method will deactivate your account but Messenger remains active. You need to deactivate it from the Messenger app for that.
- Go to Facebook.com from your desktop browser and sign in with your account.
- Click on the menu option, which is indicated by a triangle icon (▼). You will find it at the upper right corner of the page.
- Choose Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Select the option Your Facebook Information from the left sidebar menu.
- Click the option Deactivation and Deletion.
- By default, Deactivate Account is selected. Click on Continue to Account Deactivation.
- Enter your password to verify your deactivation process.
- Provide a reason for leaving. If you don’t want any email from Facebook, don’t forget to check the option “Opt out of receiving future emails from Facebook”
- Click on Deactivate and your account is no longer active.
Deactivate Facebook account from the mobile app
- Open the Facebook app from your mobile and tap on the menu (≡).
- Tap on the option Settings & Privacy. The menu will expand, now tap on Settings.
- Select Personal information on the Account settings page.
- Tap Manage account option from the menu.
- Click the Deactivate option.
- Enter your password for security.
- Give the reason for account deactivation and tap Deactivate My Account.
Now your Facebook account is deactivated. You can reactivate it anytime.
What happens after I deactivate the Facebook account?
- Other people can’t see your profile. But your friends can still see your name in friend list.
- Your friends may still see your messages.
- Posts on groups may be visible to the Group admins.
- Even after deactivation, your messenger still remains active. You need to deactivate it separately.