Windows 10 gets regular updates and patches. When you update your system to a newer version of Windows, the Windows old folder will be automatically created as a backup option. If you are low on memory then you can delete Windows old file.
It is done for the backup because if anything goes wrong during the installation process, then the system will have the option to return to the older version. And it also becomes handy after updating your Windows because if you are facing errors, then you can still get back to your previous version
If you have upgraded your Windows OS, and its running smoothly then you can delete Windows old folder on your system.
Removing Windows.old will help you save a lot of storage space on your system. There are multiple ways to clear old versions of Windows.
Delete Windows old folder through the Storage sense settings
- Open the Settings on your computer/laptop by clicking the Windows icon and click the gear icon ⚙️
- Now, click on the System tab.
- After that, click on Storage from the left sidebar menu.
- Select the option the Configure Storage Sense or run it now.
- Now, mark the checkbox “Delete previous versions of Windows” on the bottom of the page under the “Free up space now” section
- At last click on the “Clean Now” button, which is just below the checkbox.
It may take several minutes to complete it.
Clear Windows old folder through Temporary files settings
- Go to Settings of your computer/laptop.
- Click on the System option.
- After that, click on Storage from the system settings menu on the left pane of the page.
- Select the option, Temporary files.
- From the menu select the option Windows Update Cleanup.
- Now hit Remove files button and it will start deleting the windows old folder.
Delete Windows old through Disk CleanUp
You can also erase the Windows.old folder with the help of the Disk Cleanup tool which is a pre-installed tool on your system.
- Search the term Disk Cleanup in the windows search bar and open the app.
- On the drive selection, (C:) drive is preselected, click OK.
- Now select the option Clean up system files. Now the Disk Cleanup app gets minimized, find it from the taskbar.
- It will ask you to select the drive you want to clean, select Ok.
- Choose the option Windows Update Cleanup and click ok.
- A prompt will open for confirmation, click Delete files.
It will take some time to complete this disk cleanup task. The time may vary depending upon the size of your old updates.