Telegram is a secure messaging app with the end to end encryption. Though it has many useful features, you may want to delete Telegram account because very few of your contacts use it. Or it fails to meet your expectations.
In this article, we guide you on how to deactivateTelegram account permanently and what could be the alternative to deleting the account.
Things to consider before you deactivate Telegram account
- You can’t deactivate Telegram Account using a mobile or desktop app. You got to use a web browser like Google, Firefox, Edge, etc. either from your phone or PC.
- All your messages, groups, and bots will be removed completely, and the channels you have created will be taken over by the admin.
- Entire contacts on Telegram will be lost permanently.
- The permanent deletion of the Telegram account cannot be reinstated.
- Though you can create a new account using the same number after some time, you can’t restore your chat history and contact list.
Still, want to delete Telegram account? Follow the procedure below:
How to Delete Telegram Account Permanently?
- Visit the Telegram account Deletion page from your favorite web browser either through mobile or from your laptop/PC.
- Enter the phone number with which you have created the Telegram account that you want to delete and then click on Next. The number should be in an international format i.e., it should be preceded by the country code and area code.
- You’ll receive confirmation code in Telegram application (not in SMS) immediately. Go back to the web browser and then type the code manually in the field provided for the same after that click on “Sign in”. The code is case sensitive so entering it, make sure that even the case of the letter matches.
- On the next page, read and understand what will happen once you delete Telegram account. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and type the reason for leaving Telegram.
- A confirmation sub-window will pop up. If you haven’t made a last-minute change to your thought, then confirm your choice to delete Telegram account by clicking Yes, Delete my Account.
The telegram account deactivation process is complete. You can’t sign up with the same number for 14 days of termination.
Steps to enable Account Self-destruct Option
There is an automatic process to delete Telegram account. Your account will self destruct if it remains inactive for the pre-specified period.
- Open Telegram application either on your phone or PC.
- Tap on the menu icon (≡) that lies towards the top left corner of the page and click on the “Settings” option from the menu pane that slides out.
- Swipe down and tap on “Privacy and Security”.
- In the Privacy and Security page under the Advanced option tap on “Delete my Account if away for”.
- Choose the period to self-destruct.
Don’t use the Telegram for the period that you’ve chosen above and your account including all the data in it will be deleted permanently.
But it won’t stop others to contact you in Telegram. So, we recommend you to uninstall the application from your phone as well as the PC.
Uninstall Telegram from Android phone
- Go to the list of the application.
- Tap and hold the Telegram icon.
- After holding it for a while drag it towards the top of the screen where you will see two options “Cancel” and “Uninstall”.
- Drag the application to the Uninstall tab and leave it.
- Confirm your choice and the application will be deleted from your Android phone.
To uninstall the application from PC
- Click the “Windows” icon at the bottom left corner of the screen of your desktop.
- You will see the list of all the programs on your desktop arranged in alphabetical order. Scroll down and find the Telegram.
- Right-click in the Telegram application and then click on the “Uninstall” option.
- It will redirect you to the control panel where you can uninstall or change a program. Scroll down and find Telegram and double click on it.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking you ‘ Are you sure want to completely remove Telegram Desktop and all of its components?’. Click ‘Yes,’ and the app will be uninstalled from your PC.