Table of Contents
What is Kik?
Kik is an instant messaging platform that is very popular with teenagers and young adults all over the world. It is available on both the popular mobile platforms, Android and iOS. Users can send messages, images, gifs, emojis, and videos with other users one to one and even with a group of people. Kik is known for preserving users’ anonymity as it allows users to register without the need to provide a telephone number or a valid email address. This anonymity feature has attracted a lot of people to this platform Your username is your primary identity on Kik and details like an email address or telephone number aren’t made public on the app All you need to add someone and chat with them is to know the other person’s username and you are good to go.
Currently, there are a lot of messaging apps on the market that provide better features and security than Kik. With that being said, the time might have come to say goodbye to Kik. In this article, we will guide you to permanently delete your Kik account.
This article will also help you deactivate your Kik account if you just want to take a break from Kik and come around later.
Why deleting your Kik account is good for you?
Kik takes pride in its platform with the anonymity feature but there are quite a few drawbacks to this supposed feature. You only need an email, birthdate, and username to create a Kik account. This means other users only see a minimal amount of information about each other. The app also deletes message histories after some time. Although anonymity might be a good feature, Kik has other vulnerabilities and concerns. Let us look at some of these reasons why you should think about deleting your Kik account.
- As an anonymous platform, Kik is prone to child exploitation from other users who are usually older than their counterparts. Users have reportedly said that they have been victims of cyberbullying and threats. And the other thing worse than this is that Kik hesitates to provide data when required by the authorities to investigate such cases.
- Kik also seems to lack parental control or guidance when it comes to teenagers using the platform. Teens can easily bypass the security measures and gain access to the app without much hassle. This puts young people at a high risk of scams, exploitation, or cyberbullying from strangers.
- Kik users also don’t need to verify their accounts with a valid phone number or email address. Users can remain anonymous and this leads to a lack of accountability when something unethical or illegal event takes place. This lack of transparency is a major issue that leaves the perpetrator unaccountable and scot-free.
- Even though Kik boasts its anonymity feature, it has very poor security and privacy measures in place. It lacks the critical end-to-end encryption standard used in various other messaging platforms. Kik can see all your messages if it wishes to. The lack of encryption also makes it easier for hackers and criminals to intercept your messages. Kik also has the ability to track its users’ locations by tracing your IP address.
- Kik’s source code has never been available for any independent reviews and audits. This lack of transparency is sketchy and disrespectful towards its userbase. It also doesn’t seem to have proper documentation on its design and architecture which only means there is something sketchy happening behind the scenes.
Because of all of these flaws, Kik is not a secure messaging platform at all. It has various security risks and privacy issues that shouldn’t be taken lightly. You should probably think about deleting your account and switching to a better platform if you really care about online safety.
How to delete your Kik account permanently?
Note: You cannot close your Kik account from the mobile app.
- Go to https://ws.kik.com/delete
- Type in your username and email address associated with your account.
- Select a reason for leaving Kik from the dropdown menu.
- Now, mark the checkbox labeled, ” I understand that I’m permanently deactivating my account and I won’t be able to log in again or reactivate it” checkbox.
- Click on the Go! button.
- You will receive a confirmation email from Kik. Open the email and click on the Permanently Deactivate button.
How to deactivate my Kik account?
- Go to the Kik Account Deactivation Page.
- Enter your email address linked with your account.
- Click on Go!.
- You’ll receive an email with the link to deactivate the account. Open the confirmation email and click on Deactivate.
How to Delete Kik from the mobile app?
Kik doesn’t give you the ability to delete or deactivate your account from the mobile app on Android or iOS. You have to visit their website at this link and fill up the form in order to delete your account. But you can visit the site on your mobile phone on any web browser of your choice. The procedure is the same, so follow the same steps as you would do on a desktop browser.
What happens when you delete or permanently deactivate your account?
When you delete your account, your profile will be permanently deleted and you will no longer be able to receive any notifications or messages. Other users will also not be able to see your username or profile on the platform anymore. All your messages or conversations will also be deleted permanently. And be warned that you won’t be able to reactivate your account. If you want to access the platform again, there’s no other option than to create a new profile.
But if you only deactivate your account, it will only be temporarily disabled. All the other stipulations will be the same, except for the fact that you can reactivate your activate at a later time in the future.
Alternatives to Kik
There are other messaging platforms that are much safer and privacy-conscious than Kik. They counteract most if not all the flaws that Kik has.
So if you want to switch to another platform that might be better in terms of privacy and features you might want to check out these alternatives. I hope you find a better alternative if you choose to part ways with Kik for good. Let us take a look at some of these platforms and give you an idea of what they are all about.
Signal is a messaging platform with state-of-the-art encryption standards despite being less popular. It uses end-to-end encryption which makes your conversations incredibly secure and private. It uses standard cellular telephone numbers as identifiers to connect with other users. You can send text, images, videos and have voice and video conversations while being completely secure. As Signal is a completely free and open-source platform, you won’t need to worry about your personal data being misused. It has gained a lot of popularity with privacy-conscious users switching to the platform as of late.
Telegram is another secure messaging platform similar to Signal. It allows you to send messages, images, videos, files and lets you have voice and video conversations with an end-to-end encrypted security standard in place. It also uses state-of-the-art security and privacy measures to make communications safe and secure. It has also gained a lot of popularity with privacy concerned users switching to the platform.
Viber is another popular messaging platform that is secure and feature-rich. You will be connected to all your contacts who use the platform when you sign up for Viber. All your personal chats are always protected and private. Not only are your communications protected by end-to-end encryption by default, but nothing you share is ever stored on Viber’s servers once delivered. Viber also doesn’t listen to your conversations or sell your personal data to third parties.
WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging platforms in the world. It has all the features you need in a messaging app without all the useless clutter. It is also considered as a very secure platform as it uses strict security standards to secure your messages and keep them out of reach of malicious hands. All types of WhatsApp messages (including chats, group chats, images, videos, voice messages, and files) and WhatsApp calls are protected by end-to-end encryption. So it is a safe consideration when it comes to a messaging platform.
Discord is a platform used to talk, text, and video chat with people. It has different channels you can join with a theme that unites people with similar interests. It has a large number of users with different interests covering every topic imaginable. It is particularly aimed at gamers but the Discord community has grown beyond that in recent years and you might just be a good fit.
Now, I hope you can choose a safe, secure, and reliable messaging platform compared to Kik which is laced with security flaws and privacy concerns. Choose a platform that is best suited for you.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )
How do I deactivate my Kik account?
A: Please go to the Kik account deactivate page and follow the steps.
Will I be able to restore my deleted account?
A: No, you cannot restore your account if you have permanently deleted it. An account that is deleted once is lost forever.
Can I reactivate my disabled account?
A: Yes, you can reactivate your disabled account simply by logging back in with your account credentials i.e. your username and password.
What happens when I delete my account?
A: Once you delete your account, your profile will be permanently deleted along with all your messages and conversations. Other users will also not be able to find you anymore.
What happens when I deactivate my account?
A: When you deactivate your account, you will no longer receive notifications and messages from other users and other people won’t be able to find you. But you will be able to restore your account in the future.
How to deactivate my Kik account from the mobile app?
A: Unfortunately you can’t deactivate or delete your account using the mobile app. You need to use the mobile browser to delete or deactivate your Kik account.
Our Final Verdict
I hope this article helped you delete or deactivate your Kik account. If you are still having problems then visit https://www.kik.com/help-center/ and search for the problem or contact Customer Support at https://www.kik.com/contact/ for further assistance. And if you choose to switch to another platform, I hope you got an idea about some better alternatives.