There is a time in everyone’s life where you wish you should not have sent the message to someone and you feel anxious every time you see the message in your inbox. Thankfully Facebook allows you to delete Facebook messages for yourself at least.
Recently Facebook, Messenger has introduced a feature of deleting messages from the receiver’s device as well. It was the breath of relief for numerous messenger users. However, some users got disappointed when it was revealed that you could delete the message for everyone only within 10 minutes of sending the message.
In this article, we will discuss the steps to delete messages on Facebook using mobile applications and Desktop. You can also deactivate Facebook Messenger entirely.
Delete Facebook Messages using Messenger
- Open Messenger application on your smartphone.
- Tap on the sender’s image whose message you want to delete.
- Find the message you want to delete and then tap & hold the message.
- You will see message options at the bottom of the screen — tap on the “Bin” icon.
- Now “Remove for you” and “Remove for everyone” will appear. Remove for everyone will appear only if 10 minutes have not passed since you have sent the message and if the receiver has not seen the message.
- Tap on the “Remove for you” option if you want to delete the message from your device only. If you don’t want the message to be displayed on the receiver’s end as well then tap on “Remove for everyone.” However, keep in mind that, 10 minutes should not have passed after you sent the message to be able to delete the message from the receiver.
- A confirmation message will pop up on your screen. Tap on “Remove” to get rid of the message permanently.
Delete Facebook Message using Desktop/Laptop.
- Open facebook.com on any web browser you prefer and log in if you are not already logged in.
- Click on the message icon towards the top right corner of the page just before the notification icon.
- A drop-down list will appear displaying the recent conversation you have had. Click on the conversation from where you want to delete a specific.
- The conversation you have selected will be displayed in a pop-up message box at the bottom of the screen.
- Find the message that you want to delete and then click on the menu icon (…). Now click on Remove.
- A sub-window will pop up requiring you to confirm that you choose to get rid of the message permanently. Choose from the option to “Remove for Everyone” or “Remove for You”. Finally, click on “Remove” and you will get rid of the message permanently.
Delete entire conversation
If you intend to delete the entire conversation instead of the individual message, then follow these steps:
- Open Facebook.com in any web browser. Log in using the username and password of the account from where you want to delete the conversation.
- Click on the message icon towards the top right corner of the page just before the notification icon and open the conversation that you want to delete.
- Once you open the conversation in a message box that appears at the bottom of the screen; click on the “Option” (gear icon).
- A drop-down menu will appear. Scroll down to the end of the list and then click on “Delete Conversation.”
- Facebook will notify you that once you delete the conversation, it cannot be undone. Click on “Delete Conversation” to get rid of the conversation permanently.
Delete Facebook message from the Messenger
- Open Facebook messenger.
- Find the conversation that you want to delete.
- Tap and hold the conversation.
- You will see some options at the right of the conversations. From among the options tap on “Delete icon” (red bin icon).
- A confirmation message will pop up. Tap on “Delete” and Facebook will delete the conversation permanently.