Increasing numbers of video calling apps are replacing Skype for many users. If you are not using it anymore, then you can close the Skype account. Uninstalling the app from your phone or PC won’t cancel the account. To terminate your account entirely, you have to delete Skype account.
Some years back deleting Skype was a tiresome job. You had to contact the customer care and request them to cancel your account mentioning the reason thereof. But now you can do it all by yourself. However, Skype has not made the deletion procedure that easy. There are lots of stuff that are to be taken care of while deleting Skype account.
Things to consider before closing Skype account
- In the past terminating the Skype account was possible without affecting the Microsoft account. But as all Microsoft accounts are combined as one, in order to get rid of Skype account you have to terminate your Microsoft account and give up all other products of Microsoft like Outlook, Xbox, OneDrive, etc.
- If you are using premium or recurring paid services, your account will be automatically renewed through the automated payment system. You should disable recurring payment system to avoid such payment.
- You got to cancel the Subscription if any and request a refund of your unused credit.
- Skype account cannot be deleted using mobile application; you have to use a Web browser either through your mobile or PC.
Steps to Delete Skype Account Permanently
- Go to Skype deletion page.
- Even if you are logged in you will be asked to re-enter the password to confirm that you are the actual owner of the account.
- Verify your account using the text message or alternative email address that you have provided while signing up Microsoft account. You’ll get security code on mobile or email depending upon the verification mode.
- Click Next after reading and understanding the consequences of Skype account deletion.
- Skype will show you all the consequences of deleting the Skype account. You must mark each of them to acknowledge that you have read them all and still want to close your account.
- After marking them all, select the reason for deleting the Skype Account from the drop-down menu. If you can’t find the reason why you have chosen to delete the account, select “My reason is not listed”.
- Finally, click on Mark account for closure.
You will get the immediate notification in all the contacts you have provided (Mobile and email) that your account has been marked for closure.
Now your Skype account is marked for closure. Microsoft will keep all your data safe for 60 days. Within this period if you changed your mind and want to return to Skype, then all you have to do is log in Skype with the old username and password. After 60 days your account becomes unrecoverable. You will lose all your information and data permanently.
Procedure close Skype account and cancel the subscription and automatic billing
Disable any automating billing or automated recharge system to top up your Skype credit. To disable auto recharge:
- Go to Skype.com
- Log in with your username and password of the account that you want to delete.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and under the Billing and Payment section click on Credit Auto recharge. After that click on Disable.
We recommend you finish all your Skype credit before you delete Skype account. Though you can claim a refund of the unused credit the procedure to claim unused credit is too tiresome. You have to contact Skype customer service and then write them to refund your unused credit.
You have to wait 60 days for your Skype account to be deleted permanently. So, if you wish that no one could reach you through Skype immediately then you can change your account information like your name, number and your profile image before you Mark your account for closure.