Table of Contents
What is Match?
Match.com is an online dating service that helps to connect single people together all over the world, no matter your age, gender, sexual orientation, race, or language. Match.com has helped pioneer the online dating industry and now operates in 24 countries and territories and hosts its websites in 15 different languages. It also has its mobile apps available on both the popular platforms, Android and iOS. Match’s motto is to help singles find the kind of relationship they’re looking for. Match claims that every month hundreds of thousands of people find love through their service.
Match provides singles the opportunity to express themselves through various free writing sections. Profiles may include up to 26 photos, as well as selected preferences regarding the person they’re searching for. Other members on Match can see photos and read about potential matches in their area and continue their quest for finding love.
Match says that they care about their users’ privacy and all the names and contact information of all their members are kept confidential until the member personally decides to share the information with a potential match on their own terms. And to help ensure the integrity of their community, every profile and photo is screened by the Customer Care team for appropriateness before it’s posted to the site.
Why you should think about deleting your Match account?
Just like every other big company, it is bound to have controversies surrounding it, and it is the same with Match. Match has been known to be involved in multiple unethical and sketchy situations. Some of these situations are outright unacceptable and might make you think about deleting your account permanently. So let us take a look at some of them
- Match was sued by the FTC for allegedly using misleading advertisements to convince hundreds of thousands of Match.com users to subscribe to their paid service. It also came to light that Match relied on deceptive email marketing tactics where some users were coerced into signing up for the paid service under false pretenses of finding the perfect match. The free tier members were sent emails coercing them to subscribe to the paid tier to view their match’s identity. But the matches turned out to be fake and unavailable when the users subscribed to the paid tier of service.
- Match also got a lot of backlash from people who claimed Match allegedly used bullying tactics by calling their physical features “imperfections”. Match put up ads with a very controversial statement that said “If you don’t like your imperfections someone else will” which was targeted towards people with freckled skin. Users believed that this was not a very thoughtful thing to do by such a large corporation like Match.
- Some users also claimed that they were victims of harassment and sexual assault from their matches on the platform.
Due to all these controversies surrounding Match, you might want to think about continuing to use the platform’s services to find yourself a match. And if you are not having any luck finding any good matches it might be time for you to move on and make a change. If you no longer want to be associated with such a platform, you might want to delete your account and part ways with the platform for good.
What happens when you delete or deactivate your account?
When you unsubscribe from Match’s services and delete your account, your profile will be deleted permanently after 24 hours of your request. Your messages will be deleted and you won’t receive any more notifications for matches through emails. Other users won’t also be able to see your profile anymore. You won’t be able to access your information or use your account again either. If you want to join Match again the only option is to create a new account and get started again.
But if you only deactivated your account temporarily, you will temporarily stop receiving matches, notifications, and emails. Your profile will be hidden from potential matches too. But you can choose to get back to Match at a later time and all your information will still be there.
Do you need to delete the match account because:
You found a perfect match.
Got a better alternative to OkCupid, eHarmony, POF, etc.
Feel like you are killing too much of your productive time in the virtual world.
Don’t want to spend hard-earned money on a worthless subscription.
Whatever be the reason, if you are looking for the simplest way to delete Match.com account and cancel the match subscription, then you are at the right place.
Things to consider before you close Match account
All your data in the Match profile, including the chat history and matches you have found will be lost permanently after a year.
Other Match members can’t view your profile and pictures.
You can reactivate the account within a year. You just have to sign in to the Match account.
Make sure you’ve canceled the auto-renewal of Match subscription.
If you still wish to leave a Match account, then follow our simplified and updated procedure to delete your Match account in the article below. So, let’s begin.
Delete Match Account Using a Web-browser
You have to log in from a web browser to delete a Match account as there is not an option to do it from the app.
- Go to Match.com from a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc)
- Click on the settings icon that lies towards the top right corner of the page and select “Settings” from the dropdown menu that appears.
- In the settings page, click on Change/Cancel Membership.
- Since you are accessing the sensitive part Match will ask you to reenter your password. Type the password and then click on Continue Cancellation.
- Don’t forget to cancel the auto-renewal of your subscription before you proceed further. For this click on Subscription Status.
- After you are done checking your subscription status, click on “Cancel Membership and Remove Profile”.
- You have successfully deleted your Match account. You will receive a membership cancellation notice.
This process will deactivate the Match account, and it will take 365 days to delete it permanently. You can always return to Match.com and then start using it just by logging in with the same username and password.
But remember you can do this only within 365 days after that all your information on the match.com will be permanently removed.
Cancel Match subscription from Android
Though you cannot delete Match account using the application for Match, you can cancel the Match subscription and hide your account from Match search.
- Open the Match app.
- Tap on the Menu option (three horizontal lines arranged in a row) that lies towards the top left corner of the page.
- Tap on “Settings” in the menu tab that slides out.
- Now in the Profile Visibility option tap on “Hidden.” It will hide your profile, and you won’t be seen by others.
- Now open Google play store application.
- Tap on the menu option at the top left corner of the apps and then tap on “Account” from the menu panel that slides out.
- Tap on Subscription to display all the subscriptions that you have made.
- Find and tap on Match.
- Finally, tap on Cancel and then tap on Yes to confirm your choice.
It will hide your profile and then cancel the automatic payment to Match subscription. This process is almost like deleting your account but don’t rely only on this. We recommend you remove the Match account entirely by following the procedure stated above.
How to Cancel Match Subscription on iPhone/iPad?
You can easily cancel any subscription on the iPhone.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone/iPad.
- Scroll down on the settings page, and tap on iTunes & App Store.
- Tap on your Apple ID.
- A popup menu will appear on your screen, and you have to select the View Apple ID.
If you are asked to enter your Apple Id’s password, then do so as per the instruction.
- Scroll down on the page and select the Subscriptions option
- Select the Match subscription from the list.
- Tap on the Cancel Subscription option and click Confirm it on the pop-up screen.
You have successfully canceled your Match.com subscription, but your profile will still be available on Match. So, you have to follow the further steps from the How to Delete a Match Account heading.
Alternatives to Match.com
If you think Match is not the platform for you, you might want to switch to another platform where you might have better luck finding a partner. If you choose to ditch your Match account for whatever reason, there are other online dating platforms that might objectively be better than Match. So if you want to switch to another platform that might be better in terms of privacy and features you might want to check out these alternatives. I hope you find a better alternative if you choose to part ways with Match for good. Let us take a look at some of these platforms and give you an idea of what they are all about.
Tinder is one of the most popular online dating platforms in the world. With Tinder, you have millions of other single people at your fingertips and they’re all ready to meet someone like you. Whether you’re straight or in the LGBTQIA community, Tinder’s there to bring you all the sparks. Tinder claims to have more than 50 billion matches till now which is increasing every day. Tinder gets you matches based on geographical location, age, and other profile details you created. So give Tinder a try and find out if it is really as good as it sounds.
Bumble is another popular dating platform. Bumble matches you to other users based on your age, location, and profile preferences. But Bumble is a bit different than the other similar platforms. When members of the opposite sex match on Bumble, women are required to make the first move, shifting old-fashioned power dynamics and encouraging equality from the start. For same-sex relationships, either party has the opportunity to respond within 24 hours. Bumble claims that it’s more than just an app, it’s a movement. Bumble believes it encourages integrity, kindness, equality, confidence, and respect during all stages of any relationship, whether online or offline.
OkCupid is another popular dating platform. it matches you with other users not just based on regular metrics like age, gender, and location but by answering questions and taking part in quizzes related to personalities, dating, and relationships. Members are able to find matches based on how other people have answered those same questions. OkCupid makes you put in the extra effort to help you find the perfect match for you. OkCupid claims to make over 90 million connections every year and 50 thousand dates every week. So, if you want to be one of the lucky ones, be sure to try OkCupid.
Badoo says that they are not just a dating site and more of a social discovery network. What makes Badoo different from other dating platforms is that you can use the “Encounters” feature to have online speed dates based on your preferences. Badoo also lets people chat and meet new friends, it’s not just a dating site. Badoo says that there is someone for everyone and they have the necessary tools to find someone that is right for you. If you are looking for something new and something different from the regular dating site experience then Badoo just might be the one for you.
5. Plenty of Fish
Plenty of Fish is another popular dating platform that believes as the name suggests, there is someone out there for everyone. It is similar to other dating sites like matching you with other users based on age, gender, and location. But what makes it stand out from the competitors is the live streaming feature you can use to broadcast yourself to your potential partners. It also allows you to search for users who have your favorite traits. Plenty of Fish claims that there are 3 million daily active users on their platform. With this many users and multiple ways to connect you could find real connections and maybe the right person for you.
I hope this article helped you delete or deactivate your Match account. If you are still having problems then visit https://www.match.com/dnws/help/faq and search for the problem or contact Customer Support at https://match.custhelp.com/app/ask/src_domain/www.match.com for further assistance. And if you choose to switch to another platform, I hope you got an idea about some better alternatives. And best of luck finding the right partner for you from the platform that suits you the most.